Thursday, March 1, 2012

Tool #9

1. Why do you think it is important to tie the technology to the objective?

The students are using the technology anyway and so many of them have cell phones (and want to use them in class) that it makes sense to harness this into a learning objective. It would also help generate student interest. I did let mine use their cell phones to look up internet sources for outside research on a major essay. It worked and we were able to stay in the class room as opposed to having to go to the library or computer lab.

2. Why should we hold students accountable for the stations/centers?

For the same reason that we hold them accountable with any other activity - to make sure they've done something. If they have to produce a document or something, it proves they were actually working as they should have been and not playing around on Facebook or something.

3. Visit 2 of the applicable links to interactive websites for your content/grade level. Which sites did you like. How could you use them as stations? How can you hold the students accountable for their time in these stations?

I went to the Thinkfinity Literature page. This was only sort of organized. There were activities on here that didn't pertain to literature, so you have to wade through a bunch of things to find something applicable. I found something on Transcendentalism that was more or less an online worksheet. The students might like the new format of being online as opposed to yet more paper.

I also went to the SBISD database because the next couple websites all said math and science. I did like how much info was on this page and how many of the apps were explained. Nice job SBISD. There were several flipcharts to access on here too.

4. List two to three apps you found for the iPod Touch/iPad that you can use in your classroom. What do you see that station looking like? How can you hold the students accountable for their time in these stations?

The 2nd thing I found was a free classics books app, which I love. I've used animoto before and they had a app. I know some of my fellow teachers like Flashcard+. I'm not really sure how to integrate into my classroom. I don't even have an iPad since I don't have a classroom, so much of this is purely hypothetical for me. Right now, since there are so few assigned to each classroom, I would use them primarily as a group work activity.

5. What about other ways to use the iPod Touch/iPad? Share another way you can see your students using the device as a station.

I liked the Poetry Creator app. I see the iPad apps as an extension of other classroom activities, rather than the primary means of delivering instruction.

No comments:

Post a Comment